Zhatkin Dmitriy Nikolayevich, Doctor of philological sciences, professor, head of sub-department of interpretation and translation science, Penza State Technological University (1a/11 Gagarina street/Baydukova lane, Penza, Russia); Member of the International Academy of Sciences of Pedagogical Education, honoured research worker of higher professional education of the Russian Federation, honoured research worker of science and technology of the Russian Federation, Member of the Union of Writers of Russia, Member of the Union of Journalists of Russia, email@example.com
Background. Despite the fact that some issues of the artistis works of the English poet and artist of the pre-Raphaelite age Dante Gabriel Rosette (1828–1882) started to appear in Russia only since 2005, the reception of his creative works by the Russian literature has long and firm traditions which began in 50s–60s of the XIX century and is connected with the names of I. S. Turgenev, D. V. Grigirovich, P. L. Lavrov and etc. The Silver Age was a period of great interest to the Rosette creative works in Russia, when most of the leading Russian writers, such as I. I. Konevskoy, V. Y. Brusov, N. S. Gumilev, K. D. Balmont appealed to his poetic works. This article deals with the origin of this interest, provoked by the literary activity of the first Russian translator of Rosette N. M. Minsky and the literary and art critic, interpreter Z. A. Vengerova, who made popular the creative works of the «pre-Raphaelite brotherhood».
Materials and methods. The material for the research was the first Rosette’s interpretation written by N. M. Minsky («The lovers altar»), literature critical articles of the end of the XIX and the beginning of the XX century, correspondence, memory and documentary resources. The history comparative, typology comparative, biographical methods of investigation were used in the article.
Results. The author summarized the biographical materials, characterizing this period, preceding the appearance of the Rosette’s sonnet’s interpretation written by N. M. Minsky «The lovers altar». The researcher found, classified and dated many articles written by Z. A. Vengerova in the Russian publishing issuers at the end of the XIX and the beginning of the XX century, containing some information about Rosette’s creative works and some references to his name. The article also shows the influence of Z. A. Vengerova’s works on drawing attention Rosette’s works in the Russian society.
Conclusions. According to the investigation results the article shows perception peculiarities of Rosette’s creative works by N. M. Minsky, Z. A. Vengerova in the context of the English literature and the culture of the Victory period reception in Russia at the end of the XIX and the beginning of the XX century.
1. Alekseev M. P. Rossiya. Zapad. Vostok: Vstrechnye techeniya. K 100-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya akademika M. P. Alekseeva [Russia. The West. The East: Counterflows. Dedicated to 100th jubilee of academician M. P. Alekseev]. Saint-Petersburg: Nauka, 1996, pp. 3–24.
2. Mir Bozhiy [The world of God]. 1897, no. 3, section II, pp. 1–13.
3. Vengerova Z. A. Vestnik Evropy [European billetin]. 1895, no. 5, pp. 192–235.
4. Minskiy N. M. Mir iskusstva [World of art]. 1899, vol. 1, no. 3–4, section 2, pp. 11–12.
5. Voronov Z. <Vengerova Z. A.> Severnyy vestnik [Northern bulletin]. 1896, no. 4, section I, pp. 109–130.
6. Pavlova T. V. Na rubezhe XIX i XX vekov: Iz istorii mezhdunarodnykh svyazey russkoy literatury: sb. nauch. tr. [At the turn of the XIXth and XXth centuries: from the history of internationalrelations of Russian literature: collected articles]. Leningrad: Nauka, 1991, pp. 77–128.
7. Vengerova Z. A. Literaturnye kharakteristiki [Literary characteristics]. Saint-Peters¬burg: Tip. A. E. Vineke, 1897, IV. – 392 s.
8. Chekalov I. I. Poetika Mandel'shtama i russkiy shekspirizm XX veka: Istoriko-literatur¬nyy aspekt polemiki akmeistov i simvolistov [Mandelshtam’s poetics and Russian skepticism of the XXth century: a historical-literary aspect of acmeists’ and symbolists’ polemics]. Moscow: Radiks, 1994, 136 p.
9. Z. V. <Vengerova Z. A.> Vestnik Evropy [European bulletin]. 1889, no. 10, pp. 539–573; no. 11, pp. 62–87.
10. Z. V. <Vengerova, Z. A.> Vestnik Evropy [European bulletin]. 1894, no. 11, pp. 434–450.
11. Vengerova Z. A. Vestnik Evropy [European bulletin]. 1895, no. 7, pp. 155–176.
12. Z. V. <Vengerova Z. A.> Vestnik Evropy [European bulletin]. 1895, no. 11, pp. 437–443.
13. Vengerova Z. A. Severnyy vestnik [Northern bulletin]. 1895, no. 9, section II, pp. 41–45.
14. Z. V. <Vengerova Z. A.> Vestnik Evropy [European bulletin]. 1896, no. 8, pp. 842–848.
15. Vengerova Z. A. Vestnik Evropy [European bulletin]. 1900, no. 6, pp. 674–692.
16. Vengerova Z. A. Angliyskie pisateli XIX veka [English writers of the XIXth century]. Saint-Petersburg: Kn-vo «Prometey» N. N. Mikhaylova, 1913, 191 p.
17. Zhatkin D. N., Bobyleva S. V. Vestnik Pyatigorskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvistiches¬kogo universiteta [Bulletin of Pyatigorsk State Linguistic University]. 2010, no. 4, pp. 203–206.
18. Zhatkin D. N., Yashina T. A. Al'manakh sovremennoy nauki i obrazovaniya [Literary miscellany of modern science and education]. 2007, no. 3–1, pp. 87–89.
19. Vengerova Z. A. Novyy mir [New world]. 1900, no. 47 (1 Dec.), pp. 446–447.